Amazing sweet and sour sauce is the ipitome of yumminess, I still love my sweet and sour pork… even though I don’t like fried things… here’s a summary of what to put into your S&S sauce for the cooking! :D
1 can pineapple chunks in heavy syrup, drained, syrup reserved
1 capsicum, coarsely chopped
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
1/3 cup ketchup
3 tbspn chilli (because I like a kick) – optional!
1 to 1 1/2 cups cold tap water
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1. Drain the pineapple syrup into a pot large enough to accommodate the finished sauce. Set the pineapple aside.
2. Whisk the brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, ketchup, red pepper flakes, and 1 cup water into the pineapple syrup. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat; add the capsicum and cook for a few minutes.
3. In the meantime, whisk the cornstarch and about 1/4 cup cold water
4. Reduce heat to medium-low. Pour in a thin stream of the cornstarch and water to the pot, stirring nicely. Pop in the pineapple chunks. When mixture starts to bubble, reduce heat to low and simmer until thickened nicely and heated through.
5. Pour over your choice of food – rice, pork, chicken, noodles, etc.
Bon appetite!! :D